IoT is trying to revolutionize the world. Day by day more devices are being added to gaint network of connected devices. IoT can be overshadowed by cyberattacks and malware. IoT and cybersecurity don’t do well together and without right security, IoT has tremendous potential but it can’t reach it without better security. IoT devices could provide more risks than benefits. Reasons why IoT security is hard –
- More vulnerabilities due to more endpoints – Every Iot device leads to an increase in the number of endpoints on the network which can act as a potential entry point for the network. Hacking a bulb may not seem dangerous but hackers can install malware on smartphones as both bulb and smartphone may be connected on the same network.
- Degrade the user experience – Smart devices are used to automate and ease the daily processes and adding security features might increase the technical setup procedures that could restrict the core features and degrade the user experience.
- Increase in cost – Encryption is the core of securing the information but many IoT devices are low powered that don’t have computing resources to support encryption. Using security chips will increase the complexity, power, and cost of the products which may decrease consumers of the product.
- Security risks limit industries – People having information about security may shy away from IoT. IoT in industries helps in efficient productivity with lower cost. But concerns of IoT security act as a barrier in industry 4.0 which will increase the cost of production. IoT could provide industries a large amount of profit, adding considerable value to the economy.
- Devices require regular testing and updating – Security in IoT is hard as device manufacturers with little or no technical experience in networking, computing, or security are adding IoT features to their existing products to improve the efficiency of the product. Adding security features in IoT devices requires more regular testing and updating. Devices must be compatible with updates but updates in the embedded devices are itself a challenge.
CAPTEURIO provides you with an end to end IoT solution with constant service so that you can relax while our devices does the job of monitoring your critical assets. We provide live data monitoring, reports, real time alerts, maps, user management and more.